Ash Wednesday

7:59:00 AM









Today is Ash Wednesday. It was only a few years ago that I even knew what that meant. I remember seeing people walking around with ashes on their forehead and I was confused. I was also lazy. I never took the time to learn what it was about. Why did people put ashes on their head?

In my growth with Jesus in the past year, I have been drawn to the beauty and sacred traditions of the church. It's like I've been transported back in time to see things I have never seen before.

Today is Ash Wednesday. You will probably see people with ashes on their forehead. I will definitely have them. But what is it? Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten season. Lent (comes from the word - spring) is the marking of the forty days before Easter. We are not exactly sure in history when this celebration began, but most scholars agree it was sometime in the 1st century.

Lent is also a time when we relate to the journey of Jesus to the cross. In the shadow of the cross, we trace the steps of Jesus as he walked towards his death, burial and resurrection. This has deep implications for me. I don't wish to just check the box and perform a ritual, I desire to use this time to connect with global Church, all denominations of Christianity, past and present - and focus my attention on the cross. Ash Wednesday begins that journey.

I repent in dust and ashes. -Job (Job 42:6)

Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return. -God (Genesis 3:19)

As we relate to Jesus during this time in his life, we have the ability to enter into that story. If you are a Christ follower, it is also our journey.

Jesus said, "Whoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." -Jesus (Mark 8:34)

Today we remember that we are not immortal. We are mortal. To dust we shall return. Today we remember to repent (turn the other way) and rethink how closely are we following Jesus? It's a time to remember that we are a part of the body of Jesus. Our story is rooted in his story. Not the Utopian dream of the United States success story. Our life and worth is not measured on how many "things" we own or how much money we make. We were created to love God and love our neighbors.

My prayer and my prayer for you is that during this Lenten season, the Holy Spirit draws you into this ancient tradition as a way of remembering our call to follow Jesus, and being formed from the inside out. Allow Jesus to speak to you during this time between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. In the words of Isaiah:

And the Lord will guide you continually
    and satisfy your desire in scorched places
    and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
    like a spring of water,
    whose waters do not fail.

And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;
    you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
you shall be called the repairer of the breach,
    the restorer of streets to dwell in. (Isaiah 58:11-12)

With love,
Brian

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts