What Is A Peacemaker? (Part 3)

8:40:00 PM


OK, so we are picking up where we left from my previous post and wrestling with questions like, "So, what do we do?" & "What about when ____ happens?" The truth is, these are not easy answers. But I think there are ways to approach questions like these and allow them to align with the teachings of Jesus. At least I am going to do my best to present that case. Again, if you have been tracking with me so far, thank you! It has been really fun to dig into this and have friends following me along for the ride.

The reason I have waited until Part 3 to get into this area of 'living as a peacemaker' was intentional. The reason is because, often we try to work backwards in situations and bring up these questions first, with our emotions erupting all over the place without first studying the teachings of Jesus and then seeing how to work out these questions in light of his teachings and how the early church worked them out. So we want to practice good study habits and good theology by starting with scripture and working our way towards our experience. It also takes courage to apply it. So we've arrived at that place and are able to now start to apply it. Here we go...

I will also say that I obviously can't answer every question in light of this topic or every scenario, but I will do my best to wrestle with the most common objections. I will also admit that in order for this theology to take root in your life, it has to be put into practice. We can come up with all of the "right" answers, but it renders null and void if the principles are not put into practice in our everyday lives. This is not about becoming more intellectual - rather it is about becoming more like Jesus and living a life of love and service towards others - as a peacemaker.

I love how one pastor in Canada, Bruxy Cavey, put it when he said, "Pacifism is not a success strategy; it is a love strategy". As Christ followers we are called to be peacemakers, and it doesn't always work out the way we think it should. The way I see it in scripture, Jesus calls for it, commanded it and modeled it for us. And we are called to represent him to the world as the Body of Christ. When Jesus was arrested in the garden by the soldiers, he told Peter to put his sword down. Peter cut the ear off of a soldier. Then Jesus healed the soldier in an act of love and mercy. He didn't applaud Peter. But the soldiers still arrested him and crucified him. So in a sense, Jesus' actions did not "work" according to the human point of view. But according to God's point of view, it does accomplish something much greater in the Kingdom.

It is inevitable, as I have experienced, that when you are talking to someone about the peace teachings of Jesus you WILL get questioned about it! Sorry for the spoiler. Either the question is presented as an excuse to ignore Jesus' teachings, or the question is asked to genuinely learn more about Jesus. Let me give you some examples. A couple questions I have been asked are, "So are you saying we should just sit back and do nothing in the face of terrorism?" or "If someone breaks into your house, you are just supposed to let them kill you and your family?" If the questions are asked in a way that would try and force me to have a canned response, I would say that no matter what I say, we are probably not getting any closer to seeing the teachings of Jesus. We are just verbally attacking one another. Some people genuinely do want to know how these teachings can actually be lived out in the real world. And so do I.

As many times as I have to repeat this, I want to be honest and say I don't have all of the right answers. But then again, no one has all of the right answers to anything. So the first question then, "So are you saying we should just sit back and do nothing in the face of terrorism?" - here the assumption is you do something by acting violently, or you do nothing and let it happen. And we are missing the 3rd way - which is to get involved and do what you can - which is being willing to die for a cause, but not to kill for a cause. I know this is really difficult, but according to the New Testament teachings we are called to have a faith that God is the one in charge of all creation and he can bring his will on earth as it is in heaven no matter whose in charge in an earthly sense. In 1st Century Israel, Rome was in charge - it would be no different today if Muslims ruled over the Western world. Rome didn't like anyone who wasn't Roman. They mass executed and mass crucified people all the time. But Jesus says "Love your enemies". Yes, you might go to your death, but God is working in all things to bring about His Kingdom. And yo would die in obedience to the teachings of Jesus.

But we don't sit back and do nothing. We are never called to play it safe. The way of Jesus is to spend our lives in the service of others and to be loving and caring. I recently read an article online by a well known speaker and author who talked about Jesus like this:

I don't recognize this Jesus. This moderate. This pacifist. This nice guy.
He’s not the Jesus I read about in the Bible. I read of a strong, manly, stern, and bold Savior. Compassionate, yes. Forgiving, of course. Loving, always loving. But not particularly nice.
He condemned. He denounced. He caused trouble. He disrupted the established order.

I would obviously say this person is way off and is not theologically sound. We can see whatever we want to see in Jesus if we allow ourselves. But so many people see Jesus this way, right? Doesn't the book of Revelation describe him as a violent messiah coming back with an agenda to make people bleed? No. Even if you were to take that literally (which I would suggest is a wrong way of reading the genre of literature in Revelation), it is a future event at the end of time. It is not a command or teaching how to live in the present. The book of Revelation is apocalyptic and symbolic - not to be taken literally the way we read things today.

So what about if someone breaks into your home? How do you follow Jesus if this happens? I think it's interesting with this question that more often than not, people create the scenario and force a quick response. And if people are going to create fantasy scenarios, then I want to join in! Let's be creative together! Their thought is, well if I had a gun or a weapon, then I'll be able to protect my family. In that fantasy, then violence obviously works. But does it? The assumption is - violence works, the way of peace does not. But how certain are you that you won't miss when you shoot or try to hit the person? Or if in a split second the safety is on or you drop the weapon? Or how do you really know that just because this fantasy invader is really telling the truth that he will shoot you or harm you? As anyone who is using power and control, they will use lies in order to give you worst case scenarios to keep you compliant. Maybe they were empty threats? But now since you chose to act aggressively, now the invader is ticked and decides to act violently. Maybe, acting in a way of peace, we should intervene and the holy spirit guides your conversation and interaction and 3 weeks later you are baptizing this invader. If people are allowed to bring up fantastical scenarios, then I want scenarios that look like the Kingdom of God. Isn't that what we should do?

Better yet, this scenario is best looked at through the lens of Jesus. What do you honestly think Jesus would do if he was invaded? If a Roman soldier broke into Jesus' home, does Jesus wrestle the sword out of his hand and slaughter the soldier? Is this the way of Christ?

What I want to believe on a deeper level is that if someone broke into my home - I would hope that I would just fall on my knees and pray. Because through prayer, there is more power in prayer than in a weapon. This takes a lot of faith. I hope that's what I would do. I pray that's what I would do. But maybe that's the issue. Maybe we don't have enough faith? Do we really believe that there is a bigger world than the world around us? Do we believe that there is more to life than preserving our flesh and blood this side of heaven? Because none of this makes sense unless we believe in Jesus' Kingdom. If this life is all that there is, then the peace teaching of Jesus is a lie. But if we have faith to believe there is more to life beyond death, then it all makes sense. Dying is not the worst thing that can happen to us. Not following Jesus is the worst thing that can happen to us.

This isn't easy. It's just as hard for me to enter into this as it is for you to read it. But it's what I desire and it's my prayer daily that I can live this way more today than I did yesterday. But what about the God of the Old Testament? Wasn't he violent? Great question - they are coming next in Part 4!


BT



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts