I Love Lists

6:49:00 AM

I love to look at lists.  To be clear, I mean that I love to see what others like to read, listen to and who they are inspired by - preferably if they have listed it somewhere I can dig into and research. I've always loved those people that share photos of their libraries (and if it's behind them in a photo, I try to see what books or music they own). Is anyone else like this??

With my job, I get asked a lot from people that I talk with, "What and who influences you?", "What books do you like to read?", "What music are you into right now?", "What Bibles do you recommend?"... etc.

So I thought I would share with you some of my "lists" and favorite things.

OK, here we go...

Ten People Who Have Most Influenced My Thinking in the past 8 years (in no particular order)

1. N.T. Wright
2. J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Greg Boyd
4. Bruxy Cavey
5. Shane Claiborne
6. C.S. Lewis
7. Brian Zahnd
8. Bob Dylan
9. Elgin Emmons (one of my best friends and spiritual parents)
10. Tim Keller

Two Others Who Are Starting To Make It Onto The Top Ten

1. Walter Brueggemann
2. Rachel Held Evans

The Ten Most Influential Books I've Read In The Past Year

1. Paul and the Faithfulness of God by N.T. Wright
2. How God Became King by N.T. Wright
3. Simply Jesus by N.T. Wright
4. Jesus For President by Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw
5. The End of Religion by Bruxy Cavey
6. Disarming Scripture by Derek Flood
7. The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom In Middle-Earth by Ralph Wood
8. Slow Church: Cultivating Community in the Patient Way of Jesus by Christopher Smith
9. A Living Alternative: Anabaptist Christianity in a Post-Christendom World by A.O. Green
10. The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller

Books I'll Be Starting Next

1. The New Testament and the People of God by N.T. Wright
2. Jesus and the Victory of God by N.T. Wright
3. The Resurrection of the Son of God by N.T. Wright
4. Surprised By Hope by N.T. Wright
5. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Favorite Bible Translations I Reference

1. The Kingdom New Testament
2. ESV Bible
3. NRSV Bible
4. NIV Bible

Top Ten Bob Dylan Albums I Have Been Enjoying Recently (Been on a Dylan kick)

1. Blood On The Tracks (1975)
The album that I remember most hearing growing up. Lots of sentiment there.

2. Blonde On Blonde (1966)
The great debate among Dylanites is Blood on The Tracks vs. Blonde On Blonde. I consider them a tie personally.

3. Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
One of the most important albums in rock history. It opens with “Like A Rolling Stone” and closes with “Desolation Row.” If those were the only two songs Dylan ever wrote, he would be famous. I seem to never get tired of "Like A Rolling Stone".

4. Time Out Of Mind (1997)
Dark, mysterious and deeply human. His voice is rough on it, but I love it.

5. Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
Maybe Dylan’s best poetry.

6. Modern Times (2006)
There is something that sounds very classical and "standard" on this album. My favorite on it is "Spirit on the Water".

7. Oh Mercy (1989)
Most people think of Dylan’s Christian albums as being three in number (Slow Train Coming, Saved, Shot Of Love); I think of them as four…Oh Mercy being the fourth. It reflects a more mature spirituality. Dylan said he didn't like it - I disagree!

8. Street Legal (1978)
This is a controversial album among Dylan fans; some love it while others hate it. I love it. This was his album about his eventual conversion to Christianity.

9. Slow Train Coming (1979)
Dylan’s conversion album. Nine scorching sermons. Go listen to this NOW!

10. Desire (1976)
This should probably be higher on my list. A great album. And the whole thing was recorded in one all night session. Amazing! This has the song "Hurricane" on it.


Well there ya go! It's a start. More to come in the future. Enjoy.

BT





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts